A pattern emerges
- Defense hawks like John Bolton saw what he equated to a “drug deal” weeks before the July 25 call and apparently said Giuliani was a sort of “hand grenade” that would affect everyone involved with Ukraine policy.
- A Russia expert, Fiona Hill said she confronted US Ambassador to the EU Gordon Sondland, a Trump donor and confidant.
- Career diplomats like Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch saw an effort to undercut diplomats like her by Giuliani.
- Bill Taylor, her successor as the top official in the embassy, suggested in text messages he saw something like a quid pro quo.
- Former Ukraine special envoy Kurt Volker said he was just trying to find ways to mute Giuliani’s influence and get Zelensky and Trump on the same page despite Trump’s paranoia after 2016
- White House aides who were concerned from the outset didn’t like what they heard on Trump’s phone call with the Ukrainian President and tried to restrict access to it.
- The whistleblower, an intelligence professional, saw US political pressure being applied to a foreign head of state, and lodged a complaint.
Giuliani, Pence, OMB will defy House subpoenas
Republicans anxious about Rudy
White House learning about testimony the way we all are
Crowdstrike on Ukraine and Russia
Liz Cheney’s logic on impeachment causing Turkey’s offensive
John Bolton: antihero
Hunter Biden has regrets about being swampy
What are we doing here?