Golf is a kind of game played in an open field where the golfer plays his golf balls trying to insert into the hole made on the field by using different types of golf clubs and golf balls is a kind of ball specially designed for the game of golf.
Golf balls are made up of mostly plastic and rubber materials and they are usually white in color, but nowadays they are available in other high visibility colors too, which makes it easy to find lost balls, and easy to play while low-light or frosty conditions are present as well. Moreover, most golf balls have about 250 – 500 dimples with an average depth of about 0.010 inches in a symmetrical pattern on it, but there is no any specific quantity of dimples because some golf balls have more than 1000 dimples too. The dimples reduce drag and create lift. It works as wings.
Under the rules of Golf, the weight of the ball must have greater than 1.62 oz. (45.93g) and cannot be smaller than 1.680 inches (42.67mm) in size. Golf balls must be spherically symmetrical. All the rules and regulations regarding ball, golf game, size of the golf course, etc. have been established by the United States Golf Association (USGA) and these rules are updated every year. Currently, there are around 850 models of balls that conform to these standards.
Golf balls are divided into main two categories:
- Recreational balls – This type of balls is made especially for the ordinary golfer, who has a low swing with a speed of 80 – 130 km/h. These types of balls are made of two layers, with the cover firmer than the core. It has lower prices than the advanced balls.
- Advanced balls – This type of golf balls is made especially for the strong golfer. They are made of multiple layers, it means 3 or more layers, with a soft cover and firm core. Because of it, they induce a greater amount of spin from lofted shots. However, these balls require a much greater swing speed to acquire the expected result. Therefore, only the physically strong players could carry out to compress at impact. Mismatching the golfer’s swing with the category of balls causes loss of distance. This type of ball is more expensive than recreational balls.
Although, golf balls are divided into two categories there are many types of balls some are as follows:
- Practice or range balls – It is similar to a recreational ball. It is harder-cored golf balls than recreational balls, but it is durable and has shorter flight distance. It is legal to play the practice balls played on the golf course.
- Recycled balls – This type of golf balls is especially for novice players because there are more chances to lose a large number of balls during the play. Recycled balls are found in-retailer at a discount rate. It is cheaper than new balls.
- Mark-outs/X-outs golf balls – Actually these are new balls, but they have failed to meet the manufacturer’s required quality on testing, the manufacturer, therefore, doesn’t want to sell under its brand’s name, but to avoid a loss of investment on its production, packaging in normal boxes and sell them at a deep discount.
There are seven main companies that manufacture golf balls including golf clubs among the NGF GOLF 100. These are as follows:
- Titleist and Bridgestone Golf Manufacturing Company in the USA.
- Srixon is a brand owned by SRI Sports Limited in Japan.
- Volvik Inc ball manufacturer in South Korea.
- Callaway Golf Company in Carlsbad, California.
- TaylorMade Golf Company in Carlsbad, California, USA and
- Wilson Staff balls manufacturer in Chicago, Illinois.
I would like to suggest all golfers even they are novices, who are going to buy balls check its brand, durability than its prices at the last. It is mandatory to mind the aim of buying and stages of your sports (beginner or veteran), where you actually are at.